View Poll Results: Do you like this thread?

Voters
197. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah!!!

186 94.42%
  • Hell No!!

11 5.58%
Page 7 of 162 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
  1. Default

Split-personality.jpg

Do you remember the story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde? Dr Jekyll, the famous scientist, is not all he seems, and the other side of his character - Mr Hyde - is, you will recall, a distinctly nasty piece of work.

Continuing the idea of the two sides of the human character, have a look at the picture above. On the left is Dr Angry, and on the right is Mr Calm.

Now, back away from your computer screen. This effect will work at different distances for different people, but you should see the two characters swap over...! As you come closer to the screen again, they revert to their original characters. Spooky or what!

As optical illusions go, we think this is pretty impressive. A short explanation goes something like this. When we look at an object, we can normally see both fine detail and coarse detail. However when we are close, the fine detail will dominate, and when we are further away, we lose the fine detail, and see more of the coarse detail.

Both of the faces you see above are hybrids - each face is actually a combination of two faces. The left hand face shows an angry man in fine detail, but within the picture there is also coarse detail of the calm face. Move away, and you lose the fine (angry) detail, and just see the coarse (calm) detail.

The right hand face shows the calm face in fine detail, and the angry face in coarse detail.
    {This is based on work by Dr Aude Oliva (MIT) and Dr Philippe Schyns (University of Glasgow)}

2. Default

Here is one of Julian Beever's amazing creations. This is a true anamorphic picture.

JB1.jpg

From one position - where the picture above has been taken from - everything looks normal. Except that the pool isn't really there, of course - Julian's foot is touching the pavement, not the water! However anamorphic pictures are stretched, so that while they look fine from one particular viewpoint, they look quite strange and often unrecognisable from any other viewpoint.

JB2.jpg

This shows the same picture, but this time seen from the other side. Now the girl's leg looks extraordinary, elongated and distorted. Only from the other side, when a large amount of fore-shortening takes place, does her leg look correct.

Reproduced with permission from the artist.

Great thread Dead Man!!
    But I'm too scared to post anything. You might beat me to the ground if I post something you've posted already...

4. Default

tower.jpg

picture created by the Hungarian artist István Orosz. The tower is like a Möbius Strip, also called the twisted cylinder, which in this case has become a fascinating illusion of people within a tower made of stones

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Noxide Log in to see links
    Great thread Dead Man!!
    But I'm too scared to post anything. You might beat me to the ground if I post something you've posted already...
    Hey!! relax i said that duplicates may occur, you are free to post
    any illusion.

6. Default

check this thing out! Click in attachment to get the file... this is not an image!

Super Illusions!
    Attached Files Attached Files

7. Default

island1.jpg

The Mysterious Island - a picture created by the Hungarian artist István Orosz. Through the gap in the rocks, we see a small sailing ship in the little bay.
    But this picture hides a secret....

Turn the picture upside down, and look what we get...

island2.jpg

A picture of the famous writer and explorer, Jules Verne

(The work of István Orosz is reproduced here with his permission.)

8. Default

WHAT A BATHROOM!

9. Default

Noxide will love this!

10. Default

[QUOTE=inferno-was-here;56476]check this thing out! Click in attachment to get the file... this is not an image!

hey inferno!! great one
    probably the best one i've seen till date
    but its bad we cant post it here as it is exe file