View Poll Results: Do you like this thread?

Voters
197. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah!!!

186 94.42%
  • Hell No!!

11 5.58%
Page 153 of 162 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 1613

1. Talking

The Mount Teide volcano itself does not have the strictly pyramidal shape like its geometric shadow might suggest. NASA explained it like this: “The triangle shadow phenomena is not unique to the Mt. Teide, though, and is commonly seen from the tops of other large mountains and volcanoes. A key reason for the strange dark shape is that the observer is looking down the long corridor of a sunset (or sunrise) shadow that extends to the horizon. Even if the huge volcano were a perfect cube and the resulting shadow were a long rectangular box, that box would appear to taper off at its top as its shadow extended far into the distance, just as parallel train tracks do.” Shot by Juan Carlos Casado and discovered by Jakub Kierzkowski who shared his discovery with us, the below spectacular photo shows Pico Viejo crater in the foreground which is located on Tenerife in the Canary Islands of Spain.

teideshadow_casado_900.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 80beyond Log in to see links
    World Wildlife Fund (or just WWF in short) . It’s an organization which protects endangered wildlife and environments, tackles climate change and promotes sustainable use of resources. But what WWF also does, it creates one hell of a memorable billboard campaigns. To raise awareness around their cause, they need their message to stand out and differentiate itself from the rest. And what could be better to promote this worthy cause than using a poster with built in game, one that traps you into the world of rainforest wildlife? Not only have I learned one interesting fact today – that rainforests only cover 7% of our planet but harbor more than 50% of the world’s species – I’ve also learned there is pile of hidden animals present in this poster below.enlarge the picture with Ctrl+Mousewheel and see how many hidden animals you can find. Let the games begin!

Attachment 44333
    This is cool.

I counted 9 and then my eyes got sore

3. Default

Two Hearts

The moment animation changes and background colors disappear -illusion stops and we can see the truth that was there the whole time.

colored_hearts.gif

something for everyone

4. Talking

I have come across various optical illusion patterns whose effect often can’t easily be explained. Still, them patterns provide very intensive results, most often having something to do with illusory movement of some sort. I have also learned how various patterns can cause nausea and make you feel quite uneasy. Just look at today’s illusion for example: not only will the water automatically begin pouring after some time, I bet it won’t take it long before you won’t be able to look at the given pattern no more. It somehow makes my head hurt, yet I can’t rationally explain why is this happening. If you feel masochistic feel free to use this picture for your desktop wallpaper. I dare you to try it Let’s see how long does it take before you go berserk!

blue-lines-optical-illusions.jpg

5. Talking

Pareidolia is what happens when someone sees the Virgin Mary in a piece of toast or Jesus in Google Earth. Essentially, it is the result of our minds taking a random image or sound and turning it in to something more significant. Some scientists, like Carl Sagan, speculate that this message is hard-wired into our minds to help us identify human faces as quickly as possible.

One of the most famous non-divine examples of this phenomenon was the Old Man of the Mountain located in The White Mountains of New Hampshire. If you were wondering why I chose to say “was” instead of “is,” it’s because the Old Man is no more after the face fell from the cliff side in May of 2003. Even so, the face is still remembered by all of the world and it was such a major part of New Hampshire’s identity that it was used as the image on their state quarters that were released in 2000.

Here’s a composite image of the Old Man of the Mountain before and after the rock face crumbled.

If you’re looking for a similar natural illusion that is still standing, you can always head to Ebihens, France and explore the much less famous Apache Head in the Rocks pictured here.

Old_Man_of_the_Mountain.jpg

800px-Apache_head_in_rocks_Ebihens_France.jpg

something for everyone

7. Talking

The blood smear motif you see on your right was first used as a book cover for Charlaine Harris’ “Dead Reckoning” (check here for original book cover). As I haven’t read the book myself there isn’t much I can tell you about it, except there are vampires in it. But what I can tell you is that there is an interesting optical illusion hidden somewhere inside this poster. Go on – search for it!

charlaine-harris-dead-reckoning.jpg

8. Default

wow cool stuffs